Friday, April 19, 2013

I'm not getting younger

It's quite easy for our minds to lie dormant, almost comatose.
We make our peace with our society and the way things are destined to proceed and one of the truisms of life has always made me sigh in amazement - things turn out well in the end.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it's not alright it's not the end."

The pursuit of wealth, comforts, social happiness and belonging does not allow one to leave one's surroundings; this inertia gains strength as we age and as we find ourselves mired in the realm of attachment.

I'm not getting younger and I'm afraid that a few years from now, I will have lost a small bit of my independence - the freedom to pack my bag and leave without due notice.

Youth is wasted on the young for this precise reason, the young ache to grow old and once there, they moan in disbelief. I leave for the US next week - the land that had freed me from set stains in my mind - and even now I ache to see that land. It's not all amazing; of course it has its drawbacks (the lack of streetfood por ejemplo) but it's about the freedom to pursue individual dreams. The freedom does not imply the plausibility but only the possibility of trying.

Today, I feel that I have not lived enough and I believe that the confines of this city will not allow me to grow my spiritual tentacles. It may be termed as the pursuit of happiness, but it is far from it.

It is the thrill of something new - "The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences."
I hope to move to another town for a month or two in the upcoming monsoons. And I hope that I have the courage to do so. It just might be the Malabar Coast.

I'm not getting younger and it may be time that I seize this opportunity. I don't want to wait for my 30s because I don't know if I will get there. A few years from now, I may not be able to live alone for a prolonged period of time.
I believe that there are joys to the innumerable sides of the sphere that is our lives; may be my attitude needs to be managed, but may be I should go berserk before I am forced to manage it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment