Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Invasion

I saw the movie The Invasion and as ridiculous as the movie is, it is thought-provoking. Humans are, seemingly, the only creatures who truly appreciate colour, art, design, music, emotions, intelligence, discovery, etc. When I sit at times and stare at the world around me I see how improbable it is that humans exist, how improbable it is that we are such a dominant species and how improbable it is that all of this is real.

When I say that, I immediately think of, 'Does it matter?'. Does it matter whether everything around us is real ? Would we be different if we were slaves inside a matrix? See, we wouldn't know would we?
Why is this post here? Because, the movie made me think of what humans would be with their humanity stolen... everybody systematic, everything in harmony, no emotions. You see, pleasantness is appreciated when the unpleasant phase is passed through. Happiness is appreciated when bad times are driven away. It is magical to be human and still so disgusting.

We spend our time in atrocious ways and it saddens me deeply. I was happy when I spoke to my American friend the other day and he told me about his 8 day hike to the summit of Mt. Whitney in California. He works for ADM but he loves the rough life, may be it's a great escape to that which is actually real. I have written about the futility of life earlier and this movie reminded me of how precious humanity can be. I miss my crazy laughter. When did you last get out of your city and see something utterly gorgeous? When were you last truly alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment